What a year it has been! Over the year we have held 9 SOUPs at Impact Hub Birmingham. Birmingham SOUP has been likened to real-time crowd-funding and is part of the SOUP revolution sweeping across the globe originating with Detroit SOUP.
At each SOUP the audience hears the stories of four brilliant projects, who all want to make a difference to a Birmingham community, with a suggested entrance fee of £5, we’ve had a generous community of 492 attendees. At Birmingham SOUP we encourage folks to bring and share food and our lovely ladies Mel and Erin from the Bearwood Pantry have made a total of 18 Soups from food donated from local allotments or local supermarkets – flavours have included; chilled pea and mint and delicious daal, we’ve been lucky enoug to dunk delicious local bread kindly donated by Loaf, a community bakery in Stirchley. Then, after hearing the projects and eating a potluck style supper the audience cast their vote and the project with the most votes wins the money taken on the door and leaves with the funds that evening.
Over the year our community of 492 attendees/investors, have given generously on the door with the average donation of £5.26. They have listened to 34 people with projects tell their story, and out of those, 9 people/projects have received seed funds totalling £2,589.95.
The projects receiving funding were;
- Elliot Lord – Creating unique card beds for homeless people
- Mohammed Aerosol Ali – The Hubb Arts Centre in Sparkbrook
- Second Pedals – A bike regeneration project
- The GAP Arts Project – A young people’s art project in response to the refugee crisis
- The Danny Campaign – Helping the homeless keep in touch with loved ones
- Tasty Waste – Reducing food waste through education and community workshops
- SAD GIRLS CLUB – A collective space for young women with anxiety
- TICS Magazine – A web based magazine raising awareness of what its like to live with Tourettes
- LIFT Matters – A social enterprise helping young people achieve their dreams
On 20th October we invite you to our 1st Birthday party jamboree at Impact Hub Birmingham including live screen printing, music, cake, mocktails, art and SOUP in conjunction with Eye Candy, Birmingham’s own festival of visual culture.
We’re pleased to be celebrating our 1st Birthday with the generous support of Eye Candy and have lots of special SOUP related goodness to share. More details to follow….
You can book in advance via Eventbrite (please note the Eventbrite booking charge of 90p per transaction) or turn up on the day with cash – all proceeds go towards the winning project.
TAKE TO THE SOAPBOX AT SOUP. If you are able to bring some food or drink to share, you’ll have the option of taking to the SOUP soapbox for one minute, to share whatever you’d like with the audience.
Birmingham SOUP 1st Birthday special in conjunction with Eye Candy / Thursday 20th October / 6pm – late / Impact Hub Birmingham, 58 Oxford Street, Birmingham B5 5NY